In 1989, when, at the age of ten, I was learning my first words in English, a feeling was born which later on should develop into an outright passion, not only for foreign tongues but for language in general. Since that time, I have been quite constantly in close touch with the English language. In 2001, I decided to tackle my A-Levels, which I did with English as first special subject. The second was Spanish. That was the beginning of my love for the language of Cervantes, García Márquez, Celia Cruz and so many others, who would probably not have entered my life and enriched it so much if I had not taken that step in the first place. This being done, the next station in my career was obvious to me: studying Spanish Philology with Latin-American Studies at the Freie Universität Berlin, rounded off by a two-semester stay as a guest student at the Universidad de Salamanca in Spain. From 2008 to 2010, I studied for a master’s degree in general linguistics, focus on Romance languages.
In 2012, I passed the highly demanding state exam for translators at the Berlin State Examination Office, followed, in 2013, by registering at the Berlin Land Court as certified translator for Spanish and German.
Since March 2011, I have been working as freelance translator and proofreader. I mainly work in German, English, Spanish and Catalan, for various types of clients, from private costumers to manufacturers, agencies, publishing houses, organizations and foundations. In doing so, I not only become steadily acquainted with new subjects, types of texts and writing styles, which in itself is a fascinating aspect of my work, but I also keep learning to deal with the most diverse characters, to fathom positions and to negotiate for satisfying compromises. Since 2015, I also work as a half-time in-house translator for English and German.
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Spanish Philology with Latin-American Studies and Comparative Literary Studies from 2004 to 2008 at the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
- Master of Arts (M.A.) in Languages of Europe: Structures and Use from 2008 to 2010 at the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
- Erasmus Academic year at the Universidad de Salamanca, Spain (2006/2007)
- Numerous semesters of intensive language training in Spanish, Italian, and Catalan at the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
- Further, though more sporadic, language courses in Latin and Basque
- Seminar on the Theory and Practice of Translation (Spanish/German) with Prof. Dr. G. Mensching at the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany (2009)
- Traineeship as translator at Kern AG in 2010/2011
- Grant for workshop on literary translation in Spain (Sept. 2011), organised by the Universidad de Salamanca and Deutscher Übersetzerfonds
- Oct. 2011 – Jul. 2012: Spanish-German state exam for translators
- Inocencia – Sieben Geschichten über einen Anfang, Juan Riquelme Lagos, Kulturmaschinen, ISBN: 978-3-940274-60-1
- Im Schatten des Nachbarn, Juan Riquelme Lagos, Kulturmaschinen, ISBN: 978-3-943977-34-9